“Recently I have installed SQL Server Express 2008 R2 on my personal system. Since then, I was busy with some schedules, due to which now I have forgotten the password for my database. Please help and let me know the best methods to reset password in SQL server.”
Have you forgotten your password in SQL server? Do not know how to reset password in SQL server? Luckily, you have the right blog in front of you, which will help to understand with the accurate steps to reset password in SQL server. So readers, keep your complete attention to this blog and get the precise solution while resetting the password.
How to Reset Password in SQL Server – Topmost Workarounds
- Via Windows Authentication
- Via Single-User Mode
- Via Third-party Tool
Download Free Trial Version of SQL Password Reset Tool
- Reset Password in SQL Server Using Windows Authentication
This approach can be utilized when Windows Authentication has been enabled on your server. So that, you can easily login to the server without the need of entering the password. Once you are logged in, you can easily reset the password in SQL server
- Firstly, ensure that SSMS is enabled, which is an interface that enables to change different SQL server settings in a window instead of cmd. In case if the SSMS is not installed, follow the below steps sequentially,
- Open SSMS installation page on a browser
- Download SQL Server Management Studio
- After that, double-click downloaded SSMS setup file
- Go through and follow the prompts coming in
- In the Start box, type SQL Server Management Studio and from the top of the Start window click Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 17
- Then, select the Authentication drop-down list and choose Windows Authentication from the menu
- In order to reset password in SQL server, under Object Explorer, expand the folders to open Security folder from that open Logins folder
- Under Logins folder, right-click on sa and select Properties to reset sa password in SQL server
- Reset the password either user or sa. Make sure to confirm the password and click the OK button
2. Reset User Password in SQL Server Using Single-User Mode
Here, even if you are locked out from your account. You can add a new user providing with the administrator permissions via command prompt. After which, you can access using the new user’s credentials to login into SQL server page from where you can reset sa password in SQL server.
- To begin with, make sure that SSMS is installed on your system
- Now, press Windows+R keys and type cmd on the run box.
- To stop SQL instance from running, type net stop MSSQLSERVER command and hit the Enter key
- Then, type net start MSSQLSERVER -m”SQLCMD” and press Enter to restart SQL server in Single-User mode. Once “The SQL Server service was started successfully” appears, it means that it is started
- In order to open the SQL command line, enter sqlcmd and hit Enter key
- Now, create the new user and password by typing CREATE LOGIN name WITH PASSWORD=’password’ and hit Enter. Here, name= account name and password= new password
- After that, type Go and press the Enter key to reset password in SQL server
- Type SP_ADDSRVROLEMEMBER name,’SYSADMIN’ and press Enter. Then, type Go and hit Enter. Here, name= account name
- After which, exit the SQLCMD command line. For that, type exit and press the Enter key
- Now you can cancel Single-User mode to restart SQL in regular mode. Hence, type net stop MSSQLSERVER && net start MSSQLSERVER and hit Enter
- In the Start field, type SQL Server Management Studio and click Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 17 from the topmost side of the Start window
- Make sure to select the correct authentication. For that, click the Authentication drop-down box and from the menu select SQL Server Authentication
- Now, click the Login drop-down box and provide the credentials of new user i.e., account name and password and click on the Connect button
- Expand the Security folder to find Login Folder. Then, expand the Login folder where you need to double-click on sa to open the System Administrator Properties window
- Then, reset password in SQL server by providing the new password and also confirm the password
- At last, click the OK button to reset sa password in SQL server
3. Instant Solution to Reset Password in SQL Server
It is quite tedious and cumbersome to perform the above discussed manual method as it consumes a lot of time. The foremost requirement is that one needs to attain adequate technical knowledge so as to reset password in SQL server. In order to overcome these consequences, it is wise to opt a reliable automated tool like SQL Password Unlocker. It is an advanced tool that is capable to reset both user and sa passwords from the SQL master file. It is efficient enough to reset password of any length. There is no need to install SQL server to reset password in SQL server. Furthermore, it also provides the option to set a new password within the software interface.
There are several users who are desperately looking for some reliable solution on how to reset password in SQL server. Considering this aspect, we have described both manual and automated ways that will help to reset sa password in SQL server. However, it is advised to opt the automated solution to avoid lengthy and troublesome manual steps. So now, users can avail any of these methods that can efficiently help while resetting the passwords.