Know How to Migrate SQL database 2008 to SQL 2016
Numerous associations frequently like to relocate from SQL 2008 to 2016 on the grounds that it is a safe and further developed choice. In case you’re likewise one of them and searching for an answer for move SQL 2008 databases to SQL 2016, at that point we’re here to support you.
In this blog, we will reference some viable approaches to Migrate SQL database 2008 to SQL 2016. Additionally, we are talking about the relocation of MDF files from SQL 2008 to SQL 2016 with the assistance of an expert SQL Recovery tool. Yet, so as to begin the relocation procedure, there are a few things that you have to know.
Important Note: Along with migration if you also wants to repair & recover the corrupted MDF files, use this SQL Database Recovery Software.
Now, to migrate SQL Server 2008 database to SQL 2016, continue reading the entire blog in depth.
Reasons to Migrate SQL database 2008 to SQL 2016 Version
As referenced over, the security updates for SQL 2008 will be halted after some time, however, it’s not the only reason. There are numerous different reasons that require SQL 2008 update. Here is a portion of the reasons:
- Microsoft won’t offer any help for SQL 2008 later on
- The SQL data will be in danger for security misuse
- SQL 2008 doesn’t have propelled includes when contrasted with SQL 2016
- With SQL 2016, you can upgrade execution.
- SQL 2016 gives improved data encryption and security.
There are commonly two manual strategies to move up to SQL 2016, which include:
- Performing side by side upgrade – It includes making a full backup of existing SQL Server database and a clean installation of SQL Server on another working framework
- In-place upgrade of the prior SQL database
SQL Server Migration 2008 to 2016 Manually
Now, let’s begin with the above-mentioned manual solutions first. Later on, we can proceed to the automated solution as well.
Both of these techniques have their own points of interest and inconvenience. The next to each other upgrade helps in disposing of the vault and system corruption that frequently sneaks into Windows installations. It offers a progressively steady installation of a more up-to-date SQL Server. Likewise, you can benefit from the database on the first framework while installing on another PC.
Be that as it may, the side by side upgrade of SQL 2008 is expensive and sets aside an excess of effort to rebuild the Server. In the side by side upgrade, you’ll need to backup and restore all the databases. Commonly, you’ll need to actualize another variant of Windows Server, which regularly requires another permit for the working framework. Likewise, you’ll need to restore the changed settings and properties of SQL server that are changed during movement, and afterward, reapply them to the new SQL server.
But, the subsequent methodology – the in-place upgrade is a lot less difficult when contrasted with side by side redesign. Despite the fact that you’ll need to make a backup in this technique as well, you don’t need to restore your databases. Be that as it may, you have to do is introduce the SQL Server 2016 instead of SQL Server 2008. With this technique, the database and server set will continue as before. To play out the setup update of SQL Server 2016, you’ll need to play out the accompanying advances:
- Insert SQL Server installation media and run the exe file from the root folder.
- The SQL Server Installation Center will start. On the off chance that you need to redesign from a current occurrence of SQL Server, select Installation from the left, and afterward click Upgrade from SQL Server 2008.
- At that point, you’ll need to show whether you’re moving up to a free release of the SQL server or you have a PID key for the creation variant.
On the following page, read the permit terms and conditions cautiously. Click on the I accept the agreement and select Next.
There are numerous steps engaged with the set-up update strategy. You’ll need to adhere to the directions and play out the particular strides to move up to SQL Server 2016. To have a definite glance at how to move SQL Server 2008 databases to SQL Server 2016, you can allude to a set up in-place upgrade at Microsoft.
At the point when you perform an in-place upgrade from SQL 2008 to SQL 2016, you’ll become acquainted with how much time it takes, as it is an extensive procedure. Once in a while, clients even leave the procedure in the middle of in light of the fact that it includes numerous steps, which become feverish now and then. Thus, we have a superior and best method to migrate SQL database 2008 to SQL 2016 that offer direct relocation with no problems.
The Expert Recommendation Automated Solution
SQL is one of the broadly utilized Microsoft databases in the management system. In this way, every business should be extra cautious while relocating data from SQL Server. In spite of the fact that manual strategies are appropriate for movement, on the off chance that the SQL files are corrupted, at that point these techniques won’t work. Thus, utilizing the SQL Database Migrator Tool from SysTools is extraordinarily intended for this particular task and would give additional advantages and security.
It is a propelled tool that helps clients effectively move any SQL Server to a recent version. Aside from that, you can likewise fix corrupted MDF files (SQL database files) rapidly and keep them in your local database as well. It likewise underpins restoring huge estimated SQL database files (MDF files) keeping up data uprightness.
Migrate SQL 2008 to 2016 Version Step by Step
Step-1. Launch the Tool & then Click Open to add the MDF file.
Step-2. Select Online or Offline Mode to repair corrupt files prior to migration.
Step-3. Preview the Data Files here & select the files for migration.
Step-4. Select the Destination Server and Database to export data.
Step-5. Click the Export button to Migrate SQL 2008 to 2016 version.
Also Read: How to Upgrade to SQL Server 2016 Version
Benefits of Using the Automated Solution
There are several benefits of the automated tool for users that can help them get the best results by putting in minimum effort. Evidently, this comes out as a very smart & efficient solution for users. Let’s have a look at the features of this tool below:
- Diverse Utility – This software is capable of migrating the table, views, triggers, rules, stored procedures, etc data items of the SQL Server database.
- Scan Modes – The software is capable of pricing users a genuine migration along with repairing the corrupted files via Online or Offline Scan modes.
- Migration Modes – Users can migrate a live SQL Server to another Live one. Also, they can migrate data from offline databases & script files to the live database.
- Schema Option – This advanced software can migrate not just schema but also Schema & data for users.
- Auto Detect Feature – Automatically detects the SQL Server version & also provide a manual option for users to select.
- Destination Option – Users can either migrate the data to an existing database or they can create a new one as well.
Relocating from SQL Server 2008 to 2016 has now gotten essential for associations, not just on the grounds that Microsoft will quit giving security updates to it, yet in addition to the new highlights and propelled security that new SQL Servers needs to offers. In this article, we have secured the best strategies to Migrate SQL database 2008 to SQL 2016.